About Me

My photo
writer/musician/artist ...with a lot of random ideas

Monday, April 5, 2010

Moving Out

For Filipinos who are used to the "close family ties" culture, it's not an easy thing to move out of your parents house unless you're getting married, if you're from a rural area and will be working in the city or will be living outside the country. Sometimes even a married couple still lives in the parent's house simply because they find that the parents are not used to their children living away from their home and vice versa.

Since I am a self proclaimed anti-norm, I started living in my own apartment after I turned 19. It was a small bachelorette's pad with two bedrooms [I am sharing the rent with another female officemate who's often out to her parent's place in Pampanga during weekends], with a small kitchen and dining area, a medium-sized lanai and a huge bathroom. I came back to my parent's house when I am about to finish my last semester in college but I get to keep my full-time job.

My second time to move out was when I left for Singapore. I rented different HDB flats, a mansionette and the last was in a private condo. The most costly thing in that country is paying for rent but it's all worth it as long as you are earning enough to pay for it. I stayed there for more than a year before I decided to go back in the Philippines and stay here for good.

I like being independent. I am now, again, living with my parents for 7 months since I came back and I miss having my own peaceful place although I can't complain that my parent's house is so close to where I am currently working. I've been scouting for an apartment and a very good friend of mine said that the apartment downstairs where they are currently staying is already vacant and is ready for new tenants. I will check it out later today and will be moving out of my parent's house again within this week. It's about 30-minute travel to work but I think it's not that bad. Good luck to me! ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment