About Me

My photo
writer/musician/artist ...with a lot of random ideas

Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Barbie Almalbis Experience + Banapple

Prince went half-day yesterday as The Naked Lights played at Route196 in Katipunan Avenue. He picked me up from work at 10pm, had a really quick dinner while in the cab and we arrived at the venue after 15minutes. The good thing about Route196 is that ambiance which reminds me of Saguijo. The audience can have enough intimacy with whoever is playing. Best thing about it - being next to Banapple! haha ;)

We left Prince's gear at the venue and went to Banapple to have dessert. Their cakes are about Php80-Php100 per slice so it's really reasonable. I had a slice of blueberry cheesecake and Prince had coffee toffee. If you're feeling full, my suggestion would be sharing a slice because it may look like a small serving until you realize how generous it was. I'm sure we'll be coming back to try out more of their food soon.

We went back to the venue and found increase in the number of audience. It was understandable because Barbie is about to play. Although I've been listening to her since late 90's, I first saw her live during her 10th year in the business launching her DVD concert at the Eastwood City when Prince and I had dinner to celebrate our 2nd anniversary.

Barbie Almalbis-Honasan is one of the musicians who gained my respect in my early years of exploring Pinoy music - she was able to balance the ability to express herself in her music and be in the mainstream scene at the same time. The ability to make your private life interesting but far away from the public while being a celebrity is not something most people can do. It was a really good set especially when Roger Alcantara did bass and they played Money for Food (one of my favorites in Music Under the Buffet Table album). Her guitar playing improved a lot, her voice is as sweet as always and I'll be looking forward to the release of a new album. :)

The Naked Lights played after Barbie and I knew each of them feels the pressure but they did manage to give us a fairly good set as well. I will always be a fan! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment