About Me

My photo
writer/musician/artist ...with a lot of random ideas

Monday, June 14, 2010

Looking Back - Singapura Food Tripping

I stayed and worked in Singapore for more than a year [June 2008-August2009] and I must say that the most that I miss about the country is their food. I'm not very fond of eating anything with chili but I appreciate some of them when I was in Singapore. My friends and I used to visit the supermarket at least once a week and cook at home but we also eat out to different hawkers and average restaurants once in a while - it's been an unspoken rule to us that spending more than SGD20 is luxury.

As we were staying in a condo along Upper Thomson, the closest hawker is around 10-15minutes away. There's a famous roti prata stall in that hawker but I'm not a big fan. I would always choose to eat at Meng Kitchen and have Bar Chor Mee that I am used to calling 'mini-wok', hehe. I like how the noodles tastes [they will let you choose the type of noodles but whichever you choose, it all tastes good anyway] and it's pretty good with a little bit of chili and the soup served in a small stainless cookware-like bowl that's boiling and has a little candle-like fire underneath. Another thing that I like about it is that it's open 24hours so I can have my Bar Chor Mee anytime.

Another place we often go to is the Lau Pa Sat for the best Satay - grilled mutton, chicken, beef or shrimp in skewers served with generous amount of delicious peanut sauce. It's cool to go there at night, I like it that they closed the street and filled it with tables and chairs and people would give their orders and eat in the streets. It reminded me of the Banchetto-Emerald atmosphere.

I am a very practical person although I believe that a treat should be given to those who deserve it so as a prize for my hardwork, I allow myself to enjoy Jumbo Seafood chili crab. I seldom eat there as the cost is far from my average meal budget but the chili crab is really something I cannot resist! [it's not as hot as it sounds so don't panic, hehe]

The first thing that I think of when I hear 'Singaporean Food' is chicken rice but I wasn't really into it. The second thing that comes to my mind though is something I really love and I swear I can eat it everyday - Hokkien Mee! The best Hokkien Mee is the one served in Wisma Atria and it's so lucky for me to be transferred to our office in there from Jurong East, I could eat it more often.

Aside from the clean environment, disciplined drivers and nice public transportation, I think food tripping with my old housemates and officemates is the only thing I miss about being in Singapore. I would go back and visit there someday and enjoy these with my Prince for sure but for now, but I think I better try out what's available here in Manila first - MakanSutra at the Manila Ocean Park. A friend who went there told me they also have my favorite drink Bandung, haha! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment