About Me

My photo
writer/musician/artist ...with a lot of random ideas

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Mi Ultimo Adios to Vince

Prince and I went to Mang Max's place last Tuesday with three guitars: Vince - my shortscale bass; Phoebe - my acoustic/electric and Prince's project Japan copy p-bass.



Vince is my first ever bass guitar. I bought it second hand from someone who posted it for sale at philmusic.com qualifieds forum for a very low price. Being the beginner that I was, I wasn't very meticulous with the specifications, the most important thing for me was that I'll have my own gear and that I can learn more on how to play. True enough, this baby have a thicker fretboard than standard basses so I find it really good for beginners as I was able to do my exercises thoroughly and my finger stretches as much as it can, hehe.

After two years, I decided that Vince needs a sister so I bought a slim-body Greco and named it after the Disney's Alladin princess - Jasmine. I became so fond of Jasmine that I didn't have time to play with Vince anymore and I felt sad that he's deteriorating as time goes by. It's been four years since I first played with Vince and I knew that another beginner needs to learn from him, he needs better hands to take care of him and enjoy him again.

As Prince is in needs to good pickups for his project bass guitar, we decided to have Vince's pickups be taken out and use it for the P-bass. Mang Max said that he can still make use of Vince's body and other parts after we take out the pickups so I let the master do his craft and make the best out of my baby as a deal to the services that we ask from him. I think he'll give it to his niece in the province so he suggested that I place my signature in Vince's body and he'll have it engraved to it as a reminder that I used to own that guitar. It was very sentimental for me and I appreciate the fact that Vince will again be in use by someone who wants to learn and make good music.

I had Phobe's [my acoustic/electric guitar] action lowered and Prince discussed with Mang Max on the details of the P-bass customization. We left his shop and I had to bid my farewell to Vince. I know he's in good hands now.

No comments:

Post a Comment